Easy barbecue cauliflower wings with homemade sweet and spicy bbq sauce – This recipe is vegan, healthy, gluten-free and the perfect side dish & finger food! Please watch the recipe video for visual instruction!
Barbecue Cauliflower Wings Recipe
Cauliflower – either you love it, or you think it is just “okay”. But I guarantee that everyone will like these BBQ Cauliflower Wings. And because I love them so much, I want to share the recipe with you today.
These Barbecue Cauliflower Wings are a healthy alternative to traditional wings. They’re vegan, gluten-free, and almost oil-free. Just baked with a few simple ingredients and then dipped into a spicy Homemade BBQ Sauce.
You can serve these flavorful and crispy barbecue cauliflower wings as a side dish over rice or as an appetizer or snack. However, I think they would even make a great finger food snack to any party!
For this barbecue cauliflower wings recipe, you don’t need many ingredients. All you need is just one head of cauliflower, chickpea, or other gluten-free flour, plant-based milk (I used soy milk), water, seasonings, a bit of oil, and your favorite barbecue sauce to coat.
The sauce you use is totally up to you. However, I highly recommend making my Homemade BBQ Sauce. It tastes sweet, spicy, and smoky. Furthermore, it has no artificial flavors, flavor enhancers, or other additives that you can often find in store-bought sauces.
Anyway, if you prefer to buy a sauce for a quicker option, I recommend checking the ingredient list to make sure that it has no unusual ingredients.
And if you prefer more dips, you can also serve them with my ’cashew herb dip’ or ’guacamole’ or ’ajvar dip’ but also ’hummus’ / ’spicy hummus’ because I mean snacking finger foods makes so much more fun when you dip them. Do you agree?
But now let’s start making the barbecue cauliflower wings recipe:
Barbecue Cauliflower Wings (vegan + GF)
To prepare the cauliflower:
To prepare the barbecue sauce:
- 1 cup ketchup 250g
- ¼ cup water 50ml
- 2-3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar or other vinegar
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce or soy or teriyaki sauce
- a dash of hot pepper sauce or tabasco, chili flakes
- 1 tsp red paprika powder mild
- ½ tsp garlic powder or onion powder
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- salt to taste
- *Note: Please watch the recipe video for visual instruction.
- Preheat your oven to 428°F (220°C).
- Wash and cut the cauliflower head into florets.
- Mix milk, water, flour and seasonings in a bowl until the batter is thick.
- Dip the cauliflower one by one in the batter, shake off excess batter and place them single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until golden brown, flipping the florets over halfway through to get all sides golden brown and crispy.
- In the meantime, prepare the barbecue sauce: Put all the ingredients in a pot, bring them to a boil and simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes while stirring occasionally. Add more water if needed.
- If you prefer it more spicy, add more hot pepper sauce or tabasco or chili flakes.
- Let the sauce cool down. Then combine 1 cup from the sauce with 1 tbsp oil for the marinade.
- Once the cauliflower is done, remove from the oven and toss all the baked florets with the bbq sauce to coat evenly.
- Return cauliflower in the oven and bake for further approx. 20 minutes.
- You can fill the remaining BBQ sauce in a closed jar and store it in the fridge.
- If serving with rice, then prepare it in this time.
- Serve the cauliflower wings with rice (or your favorite side dish) and dipping sauces of choice.
- The dip which you can see in the video is part of my crispy baked cauliflower nuggets recipe!
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN FIND ME HERE AND PIN THE FOLLOWING PICTURE, IF YOU LIKE! 🙂
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure: This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.