Learn how to make Banana Ice Cream with this quick and easy nice cream recipe using only 1 main ingredient plus a few optional add-ins – This homemade dairy-free and gluten-free ice cream is healthy, vegan, low-fat, refined sugar-free yet absolutely delicious and can be made in other flavors such as cherry, strawberry, vanilla, peanut butter and chocolate too!
Frozen sweets are a treat to behold, especially on those hot humid days. I can never say no to them and have been making plant-based versions of classics like my Vegan Magnum, Watermelon Popsicles and Strawberry Ice Cream Pie recipes. They are absolutely heavenly!
This new addition to my frozen delight addiction is possibly the easiest and simplest ice cream that I had ever made! Plus, it does not fall short on yumminess and creaminess either.
I added a pinch of vanilla and a bit of dairy-free milk for easier blending. However, they are entirely optional and the ice cream would still turn out great without them. I also used cherries to give the ice cream another flavor.
What is a Banana Nice Cream?
It is a dairy-free ice cream that uses only one main ingredient – frozen bananas! It has become popular not only for vegans but also for anyone looking for a wholesome, low-calorie, and sugar-free version of ice cream that can be made at home even without an ice cream machine. All you need is either a blender or food processor plus frozen bananas to make it.
A great way to use up leftover bananas
For best results, make sure to use spotty, overripe bananas. To freeze them, peel and cut them into chunky pieces, then place them in an airtight ziplock bag or container. If you happen to have a lot of them, you can freeze a big batch so you will never run out and can enjoy nice cream anytime you crave one!
How to make Cherry Banana Ice Cream
As always, I recommend checking out this step-by-step instruction first. Then you can find the full recipe with exact measurements in the recipe card below!
Step 1: Blend Bananas
Add frozen bananas into a blender or food processor and blend until creamy, adding a pinch of vanilla and a bit of dairy-free milk for smoother blending as needed. Then transfer half of the banana nice cream to a bowl, jar or container.
Step 2: Add cherries and blend
Now add cherries to the blender and blend until creamy. Then spoon the cherry ice cream on top or next to the banana ice cream. Finally, garnish your ice cream with desired toppings such as cherries, quinoa or amaranth pops, and chopped vegan chocolate and enjoy!
Best Vegan Homemade Banana Ice Cream
There are so many reasons to love this guilt-free banana-based ice cream.
- Quick and easy: making this nice cream recipe has never been easier, even your kids can do it! Just prepare the frozen bananas, and blend until smooth and creamy! You can pair it with other fruit blends and garnish to your heart’s content!
- A Healthier Alternative: homemade nice cream mimics the classic but omits the unhealthy elements like tons of sugar, fats, and calories. It uses the fruit’s natural sweetness and is free from artificial flavorings and additives.
- Highly Customizable: when it comes to flavors – the possibilities are endless! You can use other fruits such as strawberries, mangoes, blueberries, pineapples, raspberries, and watermelon. You can also try using chocolate, peanut butter, cookies and cream, and matcha! To garnish, you can use fresh fruit bits and berries, nuts, cocoa nibs, sprinkles, coconut flakes, and vegan caramel sauce or other sweet syrups.
Here are some flavor combos that you must try!
- Mint Choco Chips: Add a splash of peppermint extract or some mint leaves, a dollop of chocolate syrup, and a sprinkling of chocolate chips!
- Cookies and cream: If you love Ben and Jerry’s ice cream just add crushed Oreos or any vegan sandwich cookies to the mix!
- Pistachio: Make a nutty version by adding pistachio butter and crushed pistachio nuts.
- Peanut: The same goes also with peanut butter or other nut butters such as almond, cashew or hazelnut butter plus chopped nuts of your choice.
- Chunky Monkey: add peanut butter and chocolate syrup then garnish with chocolate chunks and chopped walnuts.
How to Serve
You can serve and enjoy your banana ice cream in two ways. First, you can make a soft-serve version by enjoying it right off the food processor or blender. Or you can freeze it for an additional 30 minutes to allow it to harden before scooping it out and enjoying it.
This recipe is good for 2 servings. I find it easier to blend when there are more bananas. Plus, one will never be enough, right?
How to Store
Just transfer in a freezer-friendly container with a tight lid. It can stay frozen for 2-3 months. Since this is preservative-free, it will harden in the freezer. So make sure that you allow it to thaw for at least 30 minutes before scooping. On hot days in summer, it should go even faster.
This Banana Ice Cream recipe is:
- Low in calorie
- Naturally sweet
- Super easy to make
- Cool and delicious!
More Vegan Ice Cream and Banana Recipes to try
- The Best Banana Bread
- Chocolate Banana Bread
- Mole Cake
- Chocolate Pancakes
- Raspberry Magnum
- Coconut Cheesecake
- Strawberry Watermelon Popsicles
If you try this banana ice cream recipe, feel free to leave me a comment and a star rating! And if you take a photo of your yummy nice cream and share it on Instagram, please tag me @biancazapatka and use the hashtag #biancazapatka because I love seeing your remakes! Have fun trying! 🙂
Cherry Banana Nice CreamAuthor:
- 5 overripe frozen bananas
- 1 cup (160 g) frozen cherries pitted
- 4-6 tbsp dairy-free milk optional as needed
- pinch of vanilla optional
- fresh fruit e. g. cherries and berries
- quinoa or amaranth pops
- vegan chocolate chopped
*Note: Check out the recipe video + step-by-step photos above!
- Add frozen bananas into a blender or food processor and blend until creamy, adding a pinch of vanilla and a bit of dairy-free milk for smoother blending as needed.
- Transfer half of the banana ice cream to a bowl, jar or container. Then add cherries to the blender and blend until creamy. Spoon the cherry ice cream on top or next to the banana ice cream.
- Serve immediately or freeze an additional 30 minutes, then scoop out with an ice cream scoop.
- Garnish your ice cream with desired toppings such as cherries, berries, quinoa or amaranth pops, and chopped vegan chocolate and enjoy!
- Make sure to use overripe bananas that are turning brown. To freeze them, peel and cut into large pieces, then freeze in an airtight ziplock bag or container. You can also freeze a big batch so they’re ready whenever you want to make banana ice cream.
- Want to try other flavors? Read the blog post above for suggestions!
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN FIND ME HERE AND PIN THE FOLLOWING PICTURE, IF YOU LIKE! 🙂
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. More info here. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure for affiliate links with asterisk (*):
This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.