With this easy recipe you‘ll learn how to make beautiful baked apple roses with puff pastry like a pastry chef! The charming “Apple Cinnamon Roses” muffins are perfect dessert treats to impress every guest!
Apple Rose Muffins Recipe: How to make perfect Apple Cinnamon Roses
Have you ever heard of apple roses? These magical, edible flowers made from apples not only look beautiful, but are also a delicious treat. In this blog post, I want to show you how to make the perfect apple roses and answer frequently asked questions about the recipe. These pretty and yummy muffins are super easy to make from puff pastry, thinly sliced red apples, cinnamon and apricot jam and will surely impress your guest!
Apple Rose Tart, Pie or Cupcakes?
There are several ways to bake apple roses. Here are some options for baking dishes and methods of preparation:
- Muffin tin: you can bake apple roses in small muffin or cupcake tins like I did in this recipe.
- Cake pan: you can also use a round or rectangular cake pan or quiche, pie or tart pan to make an apple rose tart or pie.
- Baking dish: for a larger portion or for a party, you can place the apple roses side by side in a casserole or brownie baking dish and bake them in it.
Please note that the baking time and temperature may vary depending on the type of baking dish, type of dough and the size of the apple roses. It is important to check the tart or muffins occasionally to make sure they don‘t burn.
How do you make perfect apple roses?
To make apple roses from scratch, you basically only need 2 main ingredients: Fresh apples and a dough. You can vary the rest of the ingredients as you like. Here are all the ingredients you need for this recipe:
- Puff pastry
- Apricot jam
- Raw cane sugar or brown sugar
- Red apples
- Lemon juice
- Powdered sugar (optional for dusting)
As always, I recommend watching the recipe video and checking out step-by-step instructions first. You can then find the full recipe with exact quantities in the recipe card below!
Step 1: Slice apples.
First, slice the apples thinly and place them in a bowl with water and lemon juice to prevent browning. Then microwave for 3 minutes or soak until the apples become pliable without breaking.
Step 2: Shape apple roses.
Next, roll out the puff pastry and cut it into long strips. Spread a little apricot jam on each strip. Now take the apple slices out of the lemon water, pat them dry and place them next to each other on the puff pastry strips so that they overlap slightly. Then sprinkle with a little cinnamon-sugar and carefully roll up the apple roses.
Step 3: Bake the apple muffins.
Place the apple roses in a muffin tin and bake them in a preheated oven at 392 °F (200 °C) for about 30-35 minutes until golden brown. If the edges of the apple slices get too dark, you can simply cover them loosely with parchment paper. Then take them out, let them cool and dust them with a little powdered sugar if you like. Enjoy your dessert treats! 🙂
- Prepare the ingredients: Make sure you have all the ingredients you need on hand. You will need puff pastry, apples, lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon and maybe some powdered sugar to garnish the muffins.
- Prepare the apples: Wash the apples thoroughly and remove the seeds. Slice the apples thinly, preferably with a sharp knife or mandolin to get even slices.
- Roll out the puff pastry: Carefully roll out the puff pastry and cut it into long, narrow strips. The strips should be about 5 inches wide.
- Shape apple roses: Lay the apple slices along the puff pastry strip, leaving a piece of the apple slice sticking out. Sprinkle the apples with a little sugar and cinnamon. Fold the bottom of the puff pastry over the apples and then gently roll up the strip to form the apple roses.
- Bake: Place the apple roses in a greased non-stick muffin pan and bake in a preheated oven at about 392 °F (200 °C) for about 30-35 minutes or until the puff-pastry is golden brown and crispy.
- Optional: After baking, you can dust the apple muffins with a little powdered sugar to give them a charming finish.
- Serve and enjoy: Let the puff pastry apple muffins cool a bit and serve them on a pretty plate. You can enjoy them on their own or serve them with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a delicious chocolate or vanilla sauce.
What types of apples are best for apple roses?
Sweet and tart red apple varieties such as Boskoop, Braeburn, Elstar, Jonagold or Cox orange are best, as they keep their shape during baking and have a pleasant taste.
Can I make puff pastry from scratch?
Of course! If you want to make vegan puff pastry from scratch, there are many recipes on the Internet. However, this is very time-consuming, so it is easier to use ready-made puff pastry from the supermarket. Alternatively, you can make the apple roses with shortcrust pastry, pizza dough or croissant dough.
Puff pastry apple muffins taste best fresh out of the oven. However, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1-2 days and reheat briefly before serving.
This Apple Rose Muffins Recipe is:
- Vegan (eggless, dairy-free)
- Moist and juicy on the inside
- Crispy and flaky on the outside
- With apples and cinnamon
- The perfect dessert to go with coffee and tea!
If you try this vegan apple rose recipe, feel free to leave me a comment and a star rating! And if you take a photo of your pretty pastry and share it on Instagram or Facebook, please tag me @biancazapatka and use the hashtag #biancazapatka because I love seeing your creations! Happy baking! 🙂
Apple Cinnamon Roses (Puff Pastry Apple Muffins)
You do not have a fitting cake pan at hand right now? Try my Cake Pan Conversion Calculator!
- 2 sheets puff pastry thawed
- ¼ cup apricot jam
- 2 tbsp raw cane sugar or brown sugar
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- 3 medium red apples approx. 1 lbs
- 100 ml lemon juice
*Note: Check out the recipe video + tips + step-by-step pictures above!
- Wash the apples, cut them in quarters and remove the core. Then slice the apples very thinly with a mandoline or sharp knife.
- Put the apple slices in a (microwave-safe) bowl, pour lemon juice over them and add enough water to cover all the apples. Then microwave for 3 minutes or soak until they become pliable.
- Meanwhile, grease a muffin tin and preheat the oven to 392 °F (200 °C).
- Roll out the puff pastry and cut over the short side into 4 long strips. Spread about 1 tbsp of apricot jam on each strip.
- Remove the apple slices from the lemon water and let them drain a little on paper towels. Then place them side by side on one half of the puff pastry strip (as shown in the step-by-step pictures above or in the video). Sprinkle with a little cinnamon-sugar. Fold the empty part of the puff pastry over the apples and press down slightly. Then roll up the apple roses from the short side and place in the prepared muffin pan.
- Bake the apple roses in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes (if the edges of the apple slices get too dark, simply cover loosely with parchment paper).
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool and dust with powdered sugar before serving. Enjoy with vanilla sauce or as they are! 🙂
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN FIND ME HERE AND PIN THE FOLLOWING PICTURE, IF YOU LIKE! 🙂
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. More info here. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure for affiliate links with asterisk (*):
This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.